Powerful DAW to compose music on your PC
There are loads of programs out there for songwriters, DJs and almost anyone interested in the field of music creation. And available on different platforms, whether on classics like Windows, Mac or Linux, or the newest generation of mobile devices such as Android or iOS.
You've probably all heard of Cubase, Pro Tools or Virtual DJ, but we've also got to add FL Studio, also known as Fruity Loops, to that list. It's one of the best programs to write songs, arrange, record, edit, mix and remaster music with professional results.
A versatile tool to boost music creativity.
The full version of this program incorporates all sorts of functions that allow this multitrack pattern-based sequencer to create all kinds of rhythms and sounds. Its piano roll and external MIDI controllers allow us to insert music notes that can later be edited and played however you want.
The different functions and tools incorporated by Fruity Loops make it a complete digital audio workstation, as you can see below:
- Step-based audio sequencer.
- Allows you to record multiple tracks: musical instruments, voices...
- Edit audio with multiple tools and features: pitch correction, pitch shifting, harmonization, time-stretching, loop cutting, sample warping, etc.
- Automate the software's parameters or those of the synthesizer in many ways.
- Use Fruity Loops as a VST instrument or via Rewire from any DAW.
- Carry out live performances including video effects.
- Large number of effects: reverb, delay, filters, dynamics processors, etc.
- Includes support for VST, DX and FL Native (the program's format) plug-ins.
- Compatible with ASIO and WDM controllers.
- Export your songs in WAV, MP3, OGG or MIDI format.
On its main interface we can find five different windows:
- Step sequencer: allows us to put together patterns or short music parts.
- Piano Roll: arranged in two dimensions indicating by means of two axes (vertical and horizontal) the note or pitch and the length of the track.
- Playlist: here we'll find the different patterns or samples that will create the song.
- Mixer: with which you can adjust the audio level balance, add effects or record audio inputs.
- Sample browser: from where you'll gain quick access to the program's samples, plug-ins and presets.
Furthermore, it also includes over a dozen plug-ins such as synthesizers, instrument simulators (bass, electric guitar, piano...), audio segmentation... In turn, we can also purchase additional plug-ins and it supports standards such as DirectX, VST, VST2, VST3, Buzz and Rewire.
A modular DAW: only use what you need
If you've got plenty of experience in the field of computer-aided music compositions, you'll have realized that many programs designed for these purposes usually come along with workspaces and interfaces full of functions that in many cases we don't use. That doesn't happen in FL as it has been designed under a modular concept, offering the user the possibility to only make use of those components and functions that he really needs for this work. Its different versions turn it into a versatile program that adapts to the needs to almost any users, so the best Fruity Loops will really depend on the intention of each one of use.
So, if you're looking for a powerful and reliable DAW with almost 20 years of experience behind it, here you'll find one of the best programs you could possibly get your hands on.
- The trial version doesn't allow you to open saved projects.
FL Studio Mobile Android 3.1.19b
Great audio and MIDI sequencer for Android